The Easiest Way to Make the Perfect Cold Brew
Craving iced coffee this summer but always end up with watery or bitter cold brew? No worries, we have the perfect solution for brewing the best cold brew right at home!
All you need in order to master a smooth, icy cup of coffee is a large container and a strainer.
Here's how it works:
- Grind the coffee coarsely, which you can do yourself either with a grinder, or a plastic bag and a rolling pin, or simply buy coarsely ground coffee beans.
- Combine the coffee beans with water (about 1 part coffee to 4 to 5 parts water) in a large container.
- Make sure you stir the mixture to ensure all the coffee beans are saturated.
- Leave the brew to steep overnight, or for about 12 hours either in the fridge or on the countertop.
- Strain the mixture slowly, making sure to not force it through the strainer. Be patient and let gravity do the work. You'll be rewarded with smooth coffee without the bitter taste.
- To serve: pour the coffee in your favorite glass and dilute with water and/or milk to taste, add ice, and enjoy!
While most cold brew is served cold, it can certainly be heated in the microwave! If you end up with a brew that is too strong, simply dilute it with some more milk or water. If you prefer undiluted cold brew for a stronger coffee, pour some in an ice cube tray and freeze to use coffee ice cubes instead!